Friday 14 October 2011

Why We Fight: An open letter

Dear Friend,
           
This morning I woke up and had a strange urge to watch my favorite scene from “Dances with Wolves,” which I think you said you’ve seen. It’s the one when Kevin Costner dances alone around the fire with his arms spread out to the night sky. He twirls under the stars to the sounds of American Indian chants and mimes out being a warrior. And it hit me that the fight’s in our blood. We all wait for a battle that we sometimes never get to fight. I’m not talking about the “human need” to go to war with one another, I think that assumption’s bullshit. I’m talking about the burning drive to push against an opposing force, even the desire to die in the process. I think people pervert this desire with their fascination of soldier’s “glory,” cold mechanized killings and domination. I know people demonize their enemies to create a dummy to fight against. But I see now that that phenomenon is just a desperate search for something to fight for. I’ve been waiting, ever since I was a little girl, for that ancient battle I think we all dream of, leading friends and family and rising like shadow-children of the earth.
          I don’t expect a response, I just for whatever reason thought to share this idea with you. I hope you’re doing well,

Catie

1 comment: